Block Party is a seed stage tech startup building consumer tools for online safety and managing online harassment. People describe our product as “bloody marvellous”, “the only thing that makes [Twitter] bearable”, and “v good app 10/10 much recommend”.
The company is led by founder and CEO Tracy Chou (early engineer at Pinterest, Quora, and Facebook; Project Include co-founder; TIME Women of the Year; Forbes 30 under 30) and backed by a diverse set of some of the best investors in Silicon Valley. More about us on the company website.
Remote role on a distributed team (core working hours are midday Eastern Time)
What you’ll do:
As the first full-time designer on the team, you will define the product experience for our users, designing functional and delightful UX for the often overlooked problem of online safety. You’ll bring relentless focus on the user and thoughtfulness about edge cases and the implications of work at the bleeding edge of trust and safety. You’ll lead ideation and prototyping efforts for not only new features, but entirely new product offerings that will further our mission – and then bring designs through to their final polished form and work with engineering to ensure successful delivery. Beyond product, you’ll also have a hand in design support for brand, marketing, and sales.
- Contribute to overall strategy and decision-making about product direction
- Help deliver and refine clear storytelling around product needs and opportunities
- Create and iterate on flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity visuals with input from teammates across design, product, engineering, marketing, growth, and community
- Work on features with ownership end-to-end, from research to implementation phases with our product and engineering teams
- Coordinate, perform, and synthesize user research into actionable changes, to make sure we're always talking to customers and listening to their feedback
- Occasionally pinch hit with design support for product marketing, growth campaigns, and enterprise sales
What we’re looking for:
- A full-stack product designer who can execute along the design process from strategy and research to final UI (and bonus for coded prototypes!)
- 3+ years of design experience with at least some of it at a startup
- Proficiency with Figma or similar design tools
- A bias for action, quick iteration, and follow-through
- The proactivity, judgment, and confidence to operate in an environment of high ambiguity; enthusiasm about ambiguity as an opportunity
- Curiosity, humility, a desire to learn and grow and to help others learn and grow
- Passion for building thoughtful, ethical technology
Why you’re excited about this role:
- You get to work alongside industry leaders as colleagues, who also happen to be great people that are very smart and care a lot
- You thrive when you have a lot of ownership and autonomy
- You love range and variety in your work
- You have the greenfield creative opportunity to innovate on design in a new product category (the middleware sitting between users and social media platforms)
- You’re looking for opportunities to learn, grow, and stretch yourself
- You love a fast-paced environment
- You want your skills, time, and energy to go towards making the world (or at least the Internet) a better place
Diversity and inclusion:
At Block Party, we believe in diversity and inclusion, and no applicant will face discrimination based on: race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, parental status, or veteran status.